Flooding and drainage

Information and guidance on reporting and managing floods.

Prepare for a flood

Call Floodline on 0345 988 1188 anytime night or day for real-time flood warnings and advice.

If your home or business is at risk of flooding, you should make sure you have your own personal flood plan. The Environment Agency has a guide (external link) to help with preparing a personal flood plan.

Plan how you can stop flood water entering your property. Research different products on the National Flood Forum's Blue Pages.(external link) Don't just rely on sandbags as they aren't always available, or the most effective method.


If your home is at high risk of flooding, it can be difficult to insure.

The National Flood Forum (external link) can help you get insurance and reduce your premium or excess.

The British Insurance Brokers' Association (external link) can also help you find a broker that specialises in properties that are difficult to insure.

Your insurer may ask for an Insurance Related Request Letter, which you can get from the Environment Agency. Your insurance company will use this letter when deciding whether to insure your property and how much it will cost. This takes into account the likelihood of your property flooding, including the impact of any current or planned local flood defences.

Personal property protection measures

Various types of property protection are available, from artificial dams to boards for blocking doorways. A resident is allowed to protect their home and outbuildings from flood but not necessarily the land they own.

Protection of land is not permitted without express written consent from SHBC and Surrey County Council. All overland flood routes need to be maintained and failure to notify of any major changes to land may result in the flooding of neighbouring properties for which the landowner could be held liable. Be careful that the work you do to protect your property does not compromise any other properties.

It is the choice of the residents to decide which products are the best to protect their home but, in all cases, it is advisable to look for the official British Standard kite marked products which have met the standards of the industry.

For further information on flood protection products, the National Flood Forum (external link) offers a useful guide of products and advice on their website.