Council Tax discounts

You might be entitled to a reduction in your Council Tax, or be exempt from paying Council Tax.

Armed forces discount

We are unable to give you a Council Tax discount if you live in a privately owned or rented home and one of the occupiers is away in the armed forces.  This is because the house would still be classed as their main residence for taxation purposes.  This applies to all those in the armed forces throughout the country and is in accordance with government guidelines. 

All armed forces personnel deployed on operations overseas, who normally pay Council Tax, can benefit from a tax-free payment on the cost of Council Tax which is paid directly by the Ministry of Defence. This is called Council Tax Relief (CTR). 

If you are living in Service Families Accommodation (SFA) and own a property in Surrey Heath you may be entitled to a 50% discount off your Council Tax. The Service Families Accommodation must be your main residence and your own property must be furnished so it can be used as a second home. Please contact us at sends e-mail) if you believe you are entitled to a discount.  

The 50% Second Home Council Tax Discount does not extend outside Great Britain.