Universal Credit

Information about the Universal Credit, including how to apply.

Guide Navigation

Skip Guide Navigation

Eligibility and how to apply

Who can claim Universal Credit?

If you currently receive any of the above benefits you will not get Universal Credit at the same time. Your current benefit payments will continue until you are migrated to Universal Credit. You do not need to claim Universal Credit until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) advise you to.

For a detailed guide to Universal Credit, visit the Gov.uk website (external link).

What is different about Universal Credit to previous benefits?

Universal Credit will be a single payment each month on the same day. Your rent will usually be paid directly to you as part of this instead of you getting a separate housing benefit payment sent to your landlord.

Your single Universal Credit payment will be paid directly into your bank, building society, Post Office or credit union account. For more information, you can visit the Understanding Universal Credit website.

How to apply for Universal Credit

If you are eligible to receive Universal Credit, you will need to apply online.(external link)

You will need an email address to apply. You can do this from your smartphone, desktop computer or tablet. You will need your National Insurance number, housing information such as amount of your rent, income and savings, childcare situation and if you are in receipt of any other benefits.

If you cannot apply online, you can go back to your Universal Credit account and click on “I can’t do this online". Follow the steps from there.

If you need support with applying for Universal Credit

Citizens Advice Surrey Heath can offer free and confidential advice to assist you to register an online account, complete an application, manage your money, as well as assist with the management of any ongoing claims. This is called Universal Support service.

To contact Citizens Advice Surrey Heath call 03444 111 444, or visit their website (link is external)

You can also get advice by calling the Universal Credit Service Helpline on 0800 328 5644.

Extra help towards your rent

Sometimes the Housing Element of Universal Credit may not be enough for you to pay your rent.

The Discretionary Housing Payment scheme may be able to help you. Each application we receive will be considered on its own merits. Payments are made at our discretion if we believe you need extra short-term financial support.