Universal Credit

Information about the Universal Credit, including how to apply.

Guide Navigation

Skip Guide Navigation

Information for landlords

The move to tenants receiving monthly household payments that include the Housing Costs Element of Universal Credit is a significant change compared to the separate Housing Benefit payments that have previously been paid.

Alternative Payment Arrangements (APAs) have been introduced to provide extra help for tenants:

  • where there's a risk of financial harm to the claimant or their family; or
  • In order to safeguard the claimant's home
  • APAs can be considered at any point during the life of a Universal Credit claim and can be requested by the claimant, their representative or the landlord. An APA can be made when:
  • a claimant has rent arrears totalling at least two month's rent
  • a claimant has continually underpaid their rent over a period of time and they currently have at least one month of arrears

Further information can be found on the GOV.UK website (external link).