How to raise an issue

Information about the various ways you can raise an issue.

Contact the service

Contact the appropriate service for information and advice.

Contact your councillor 

You can find your ward councillor using our search facility.

Your ward councillor can discuss the matter with relevant Council officers. They may place a topic heading on the agenda of the relevant Select Committee. If he or she is not a member of that committee, they may get another councillor to do this. The Committee must then discuss whether or not it wishes to ask officers to prepare a report on the issues and options.

Contact an Executive portfolio holder

Contact the Executive portfolio holder with responsibility for the relevant subject. The portfolio holder can discuss the matter with appropriate Council officers and may request that a report is placed on the agenda of the Executive.

Ask a question at Council Meeting

Full Council 

There is a period of 15 minutes set aside near the beginning of each full Council meeting for members of the public to ask questions of portfolio holders and chairmen of committees (except for matters relating to planning applications, licence matters, personal cases or confidential matters). Any question must be submitted in writing in advance of the meeting.

Find out how to ask a question at a Council meeting.

Planning Applications Committee

There is a separate scheme for public participation at the Planning Applications Committee. 

Find out about public speaking at Planning Applications Committee.

Request a residents panel

A residents panels is a way to bring together residents and partner agencies to look at issues facing the local community.  For more information, please visit the residents panel webpage.

Contact Democratic Services team