Club premises certificate

How to apply for a club premises licence certificate.

If you run a member's club you will need a club premises certificate to use the club premises for licensable activities, including the sale and supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment (such as live performances and film screenings) and the provision of late-night refreshment (between 11pm and 5am).


Club premises licensing fees can be view on the GOV.UK website.

Club premises licensing fees


Before you apply, you must check if you are a qualifying club. Please read the guidance at the end of this page.

You can apply for a club premise certficiate on the GOV.UK website.

Apply for a club premises certificate

You must advertise your application. Further guidance can be found at the end of this page.

After your application has been submitted

Once we receive your completed application for a club premises certificate or a variation to one, we check for objections.

If someone objects:

  • we will initially try to mediate between parties
  • if mediation fails, Surrey Heath Borough Council Licensing Sub-Committee will hold a hearing to determine your application. This committee is comprised of elected Members of the Council
  • you will be invited to attend this hearing to give evidence, answer questions, and call any witnesses • the committee will listen to evidence from both sides before deciding whether to grant the application
  • the committee may grant the certificate as requested, grant with conditions (provided these are relevant to the licensing objectives), or refuse your application.


If you are unhappy with the decision of the Licensing Sub-Committee, you can appeal to the magistrates' court. You need to do this within 21 days of being notified of our decision.

Additional information