Tattooists, piercing, acupuncture, & electrolysis

Information about how to register for a licence as a person or premises for tattooing, piercing, acupuncture, or electrolysis.

Both the person performing any of these services and the premises in which the services are performed need to be registered with SHBC.



Complete an application form and send it with the fee to Surrey Heath Borough Council. On receipt of a completed application, an inspection will be carried out at the premises to ensure that the standards maintained are satisfactory and comply with the local bylaws.

Please note: If you are going to run your business from home, you may require planning permission and you should check your lease or check with your mortgage lender to see if there are restrictions in your agreements in relation to operating a business from home. 

Information/evidence required?

You must provide specific information with your application, including details of your premises and any previous convictions for practising without a licence in this field.

Please contact Environmental Health team for a copy of the bylaws.

What happens next?

How long does it take to make a decision and issue the licence?

There is no statutory period for determining applications, however we aim to determine applications within 28 days.

If I don't hear from you for 4 weeks, can I assume it's been granted?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How long does the licence last, and what's the renewal procedure?

You are not required to periodically renew your registration.

How do I tell you about changes of circumstance?

Please contact us.

Contact Environmental Health