High hedges

What to do if a high hedge is causing a problem.

You may be able to complain about a hedges under Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003.

Before making a complaint, consider:

  • Is the hedge wholly or mostly made up by a line of two or more evergreen or semi-evergreen trees or shrubs?
  • is it more than two metres above ground level? 
  • is the hedge currently obstructing light or views?

You must attempt to try and resolve the problem before making a complaint. Think about the reasons for your complaint. You must clearly explain and document the steps you have taken to try to settle the dispute. Have you:

  • approached the hedge owner and asked to discuss the problem?
  • asked the hedge owner to try mediation?
  • informed the hedge owner of your intention to complain to the Council?

If the answer is yes to all these points, then you meet the criteria for us to consider a high hedge complaint under the Anti-social Behaviour Act.

There are other factors that need to be taken into consideration. Before making a complaint, please read the below:

Make a complaint

If you are unable to agree a solution, the Council may be able to look at your complaint. There is a cost for this service.



How to complain

Submit a high hedge complaint form via the planning portal website (external link).

High hedges complaints: prevention and cure section on the Government website (external link) should be used to help you complete your application.

The Council can refuse a complaint if we think you haven't done everything you reasonably could to settle your dispute, or if they feel a complaint is frivolous and you could lose your fee.

Consideration of your complaint will be delayed if you do not complete the form properly or do not provide the information requested.

More information

If you are still unsure how to answer any of the questions, please email trees@surreyheath.gov.uk (link sends email).