Complaints & Compliments


At Surrey Heath Borough Council we aim to give the best possible service to all our customers. If we get things wrong we want to try to put them right and improve our services for the future. We also want to know when we do things well so that we can share good practice across the Council.

How to give us feedback




01276 707100


  • Customer Relations
    Surrey Heath House
    Knoll Road
    GU15 3HD

How do we share or deal with compliments

Your compliment will be passed to the appropriate department. If it relates to a particular member of staff, they will be informed.

How do we deal with your complaint?

At each stage of our complaints procedure you have the right to take things further if you are still not happy with the way we dealt with your complaint.

Stage 1 - We try to deal with the complaint informally

This is when you tell us what area of our service or actions you are unhappy with. Our aim is to deal with most of these complaints during everyday business, without taking the problem to senior members of staff however if appropriate we may need to discuss or share your complaint including your contact details with relevant Council staff, Members and Third Parties contracted by the Council. 

Stage 2 - We will treat your complaint as a formal complaint when

  • you are unhappy with the outcome of an informal complaint;
  • you feel the council has done something wrong or failed to do something that has directly affected you;
  • you feel a member of staff has behaved inappropriately; or
  • the matter is complicated or serious enough that it needs a senior member of staff to deal with it.

The head of the service you are complaining about will usually deal with formal complaints.

Stage 3 - Chief Executive

The final stage of Surrey Heath Borough Council's complaints procedure is to appeal to the Chief Executive. You must clearly give your reason for the appeal. The Chief Executive will arrange for your complaint to be investigated and will then reply to you.

Stage 4 - Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

If you are still unhappy with the way we have dealt with your complaint after going through the other stages, you can take the matter to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman is independent of us and investigates complaints about local authorities.

The Ombudsman's details are as follows:

Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

0300 061 0614 where you will find an online form.

When will I receive a response to my complaint?

We aim to send you a full response within 10 working days. If this is not possible, we will write to you to explain this and give you a date by which a full response will be sent.