Road closure orders

Apply for a road closure order for an event.

We process applications for road closures for community events such as processions, parades, fairs, carnivals and street parties. 

If you would like to close a road for a street party, visit the street parties webpage.

Apply for a road closure order

As part of your application, you will need to send us a traffic plan. This must show how much of the road is to be closed and an alternative route for traffic. 

To apply, please complete our road closure application form.

After your application is submitted

The Council will make contact with emergency services on your behalf. We'll also check with Surrey County Council that no road works are planned and that surrounding roads are still accessible.


If you are granted permission to close the road you will need to put up appropriate signs to inform road users. The Council does not have road signs that you can borrow and recommends that you hire appropriate signs from a local hire centre. 


The Council requires public liability insurance cover to be taken out by event organisers with a minimum cover of £10 million. Insurance starts from as little as £50. 

Additional information

Larger public events attracting more people or including musical entertainment or the sale of food or drink, will require a different process. If you intend to hold a larger event you should begin by reviewing our organising a community event or street party webpages.