We are currently unable to handle research enquiries from 14th April until 3rd July whilst we are in the process of moving. However if your enquiry is urgent, please still contact us.
Our museum archives and reference library are for everyone to consult. We have a dedicated research room for those wishing to access our extensive local history archive which includes newspapers, rate books, family history, building history and information files on a variety of subjects.
Please book your appointment in advance - firstname.lastname@example.org or 01276 707284
Doing your own local history research - search some of our collection catalogues online
Learn more about the people and places of Surrey Heath with the history snippets below.
Want to find out about your ancestors? Here are some handy tips to get you started.
If you find anything in our Information Files catalogue which you would like to look at, please contact us to book an appointment - 01276 707284 or email@example.com
If you want to know more, you can do your own research. Here's some tips to help you on your way.
Come to the Museum and use our resources
Have at look at what the Surrey History Centre has
Browse through the information on Exploring Surrey's Past
What Surrey Heath Museum has in store
- A variety of social history objects relating to both national and local life
- Local area maps dating from the 17th century to present day
- Archival collections containing reference information on a vast number of local people, places, buildings and subjects (Search this online)
- Local area rate books dating from 1879 to 1959 (not all areas covered)
- Copies of Camberley News for most years from 1915 to 1990
- Local area related photographs from the mid 19th century to the present day
- Collection of negatives taken by local photographer Ron Francis spanning from the 1940s to the 1980s (Search this online - work in progress)
- Local history books
- Paintings and framed photographs, all with a local connection (Search this online)
- A large collection of architectural drawings by the Poulters who designed and built buildings in the local area
- A natural history collection
- A costume collection
- A small archaeological collection
Our whole collection is currently being catalogued by our wonderful volunteers. However this does mean that not everything is accessible at present. This is an ongoing project and so new items will be catalogued weekly.
If you would like to look at anything, please contact us to book an appointment - 01276 707284 or firstname.lastname@example.org