For information on how this service is affected by Coronavirus, please visit the Coronavirus Information Surrey Heath Webpage
Walking for Health
Surrey Heath is proud to be an accredited part of the national ‘Walking for Health’ scheme, offering short, safe and sociable walks in the local community. Walking for Health National Website
Walking can improve your health, your happiness and, by joining our group, it will give you the chance to explore the outdoors, get to know your local area and meet new people.
Benefits of walking include:
- Reduce risk of Heart Disease, Cancer and Diabetes
- Getting ‘Green Exercise’ and exploring the local countryside
- Reduce stress and blood pressure levels
- Aid in management of psychological disorders
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Chance to make new friends
- No costly gym memberships or equipment
Places are limited and need to be booked through the contact centre at email@example.com or call 01276 707100. Walkers will need to quote the date and location of the walk they are booking. You will be asked to complete a short ‘new walker’ registration form, and then you are ready to walk! There is no firm commitment, you are welcome to attend whichever walks suit you.
- Location: Many of our walks are on or near public transport routes, but most may be more easily reached by private transport.
- Timings: Please arrive on time (ideally a couple of minutes before) so that registration can take place without delaying the walk.
- Equipment: All participants are responsible for bringing suitable clothing and footwear to take part safely and comfortably in the walk. Please remember tracks are often wet and muddy in the autumn and winter.
- Children/Vulnerable adults: All vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult on the walks.
- Dogs: Dogs are not permitted on walks unless otherwise stated.
- Refreshments: No refreshments will be provided, but there may be an opportunity to stop for refreshments either during or after walks at local venues.
Other Local Walks (not part of the Walking for Health scheme)
Diabetes Walks Programme
The Surrey Heath Diabetes Walks for Health is a pilot programme coordinated by Surrey Heath Borough Council in partnership with Surrey Heath CCG, Camberley Health Centre and Virgin Care. Having successfully received funding from the NHS England Diabetes Transformation group, the project aims to support local people living with diabetes to improve their condition. Click here to find out more.
Walking With Friends in Surrey Heath
Walking with Friends in Surrey Heath is a programme of free guided walks for local people living with dementia and their friends and relatives/carers. Walks are led by trained Walk Leaders who will take you on walks in some of the most picturesque parts of Surrey Heath. The focus is on creating a relaxed and friendly atmosphere where you can meet new people and enjoy the great outdoors. Join us on Thursday mornings at 10am every other week and finish with optional refreshments at a nearby café. Walks run from Thursday 10 October - more details on attached flyer below.All walkers must be registered before attending their first walk. To register yourself or someone else please contact Craig Alford on 01276 707422 / firstname.lastname@example.org
On the first Saturday of each month the Surrey Heath Walking for Health scheme will be taken to new and existing walks with particular interest on a designated nature theme. These will include birds, amphibians, fungi and more! If you are interested please contact email@example.com
Chobham Water Meadows
This beautiful location offers many natural paths for walking and includes a 2.5k circular route along the banks of the River Bourne. Visitors are welcome to exercise their dogs, to cycle, to run, or just to amble through this special place taking in the meadow vistas, woodland boundaries and the gentle River Mill Bourne.
Leading a walk is a fantastic way to give back to your local community and to share your knowledge with new people. Full training is provided, commitment can be very minimal and most importantly it’s great fun!
If you have questions on any of the above, please contact the Business Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01276 707100.