Planning Advice & Services

Do you need planning permission?

The Planning Portal provides interactive guidance on when planning permission is required.

The Council will not be able to respond to enquiries as to whether your proposal is permitted development. If you wish to gain a formal decision as to whether planning permission is required then please submit an application for a Certificate of Lawful Development.

Pre-application advice 

If you know that your proposal requires planning permission then it is advisable that you obtain pre-application advice on the suitability of your proposal. This is a fee paid service. If you have a general enquiry not covered by this service then please email

The Council regrets to inform that because of current staff shortages, there are significant delays. Householder/category E enquiries are currently suspended until further notice. The Council sincerely apologises for any inconvenience caused. 

Applying for planning permission

The Council encourages the submission of online and electronic applications. You can download forms or apply on-line via the Planning Portal

To assist you with your submission the Council has produced a Local Validation List. The Local Validation List provides guidance about the level and type of information required to be submitted with a planning application. In addition, My Surrey Heath enables you to search for land constraints.

Planning Enforcement

If you want to report a breach of planning please complete the on-line Enforcement Questionnaire.

Further advice