Guidance on holding a Jubilee Street Party

We are looking forward to celebrating the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee with our communities this June. For most street parties that are small in scale and take place in quiet streets but require a road closure, all we need to know is where and when the road closure will take place so that we can plan around it (for example, so emergency services know).

Emergency Services vehicle access must be maintained throughout the street party, any items placed in the road will need to be quick and easy to move.

Residents will need to plan in plenty of time, applications will close on 1 April 2022 for anyone wishing to hold a street party over the bank holiday weekend of Thursday 2 to Sunday 5 June 2022 for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. You should allow between six and eight weeks for any street party to be approved, we will review applications on a fortnightly basis.

Applications received after this date may be declined because it may impact on the ability to maintain a route for emergency service vehicles in the local area.

Alternatively, you can keep the road open and organise a gathering or ‘Street Meet’ on private land, such as a driveway or front garden, without any requirement to fill in council forms. But you must not obstruct the highway or have people wandering into the road unsafely. The Street Party site has some excellent guidance on how to hold a street meet. 

What sort of event does this apply to?

This is about the sort of street parties and fetes that groups of residents get together to arrange for their neighbours. The main differences between a small street party and fetes and larger public events are listed in the table below.

Street Parties and Fetes Larger Public Events
For neighbours or residents only Anyone can attend
Publicised only to neighbours or residents Wider publicity (such as newspapers)
Licences not normally needed Licences usually needed
No formal risk assessment Risk assessment normally needed
Insurance not usually required but recommended Insurance needed
Self-organised Professional organisers

Larger public events require a different application process.  If your event is being organised professionally, publicised widely and anyone is welcome to attend, you need to apply using the Event Management Plan Template. If your event also has a paid bar, is putting on entertainment or you’re charging for entry or selling tickets for your event, you’ll need a Temporary Event Notice

Please note if you intend to use any park or open space managed by Surrey Heath Borough Council for your event, you will need permission. Please contact for further information.

Do I need insurance cover?

The Council requires public liability insurance cover for the sum of £5 million for a small residential street party.

For further advice visit The Street Party website and The Big Lunch website. The costs can always be split between residents, or you could hold a raffle or ask for donations to cover the costs. Surrey Heath Borough Council will not be held responsible for any damage to property, or injury to any person arising from or in connection with the street party, or other event.

Do I need to do a risk assessment?

In most cases you do not need a risk assessment for small street parties, however we would encourage you to complete one as the event organiser with responsibility for attendees safety. You may wish to think about how you can minimise risks and have a back-up plan. For example:

  • What to do if there was extreme weather (e.g. hot, cold or wet)
  • Use of reusable plastic plates and cups rather than glass
  • Making sure an adult is in charge of the barbeque
  • Slip, trip and fall hazards

Do I need an alcohol licence?

No, licences are only required if alcohol is sold. At a private party, sharing drinks with your neighbours does not require a licence. If you did want to sell alcohol, you need a Temporary Event Notice. This is a temporary permission for licensable activities which currently costs £21 and covers events of fewer than 500 people, including anyone helping to run the event.

Do I need an entertainment licence?

No, you will not need an entertainment licence if:

  • Your street party is private for residents only;
  • The music is not advertised in advance to attract people (live or recorded); and
  • You are not making money.

Do I need a permit to serve food?

No, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) has confirmed that one-off events such as street parties aren’t usually considered food businesses, so there are no forms to fill in. However, you must ensure that any food provided is safe to eat.

The FSA website provides more advice about providing food at community and charity events. The NHS website has practical tips on how to prepare and cook food safely

Do I need permission to have a tombola or raffle?

You do not have to register a lottery (which includes raffles, sweepstakes and tombolas) if you are running an ‘incidental lottery’, but tickets must be sold at the event and prizes cannot be rolled over from one event to another.

Anyone at the event (including children) can take part in this sort of lottery. No more than £100 can be deducted from the proceeds of the lottery to cover the expenses incurred in organising the lottery (e.g. ticket printing), and no more than £500 can be spent on prizes (not including donated prizes).

The Gambling Commission’s website has more information about running a lottery.

Do I need to clean up afterwards?

Yes, you will need to clean up after your street party. Let people know in advance what time the street party will finish and have a section set aside for bin bags and recycling. Take your rubbish and recycling home. If you have too much recycling to store at home, you can take it to Camberley Community Recycling Centre. Please do not leave bin bags on the streets as this may attract foxes and vermin.

How much does it cost?

There is currently no charge for street parties.

How do I apply?

To apply please complete the Road Closure Application Form. You must complete your application by 1 April 2022. Before you start the form you will need the following:

  • The name of the road you are proposing to close and the dates and times of closure. Please note the maximum road closure is for 12 hours duration.
  • A brief list of properties affected.
  • A statement to say if most residents have agreed to this event or not.
  • If the road/s you wish to close are used by through traffic you will need to attach a traffic plan showing the exact extent of the closure and an alternative route for traffic (this can be an annotated screenshot from google maps).

Please note that if you are planning to close a road which is part of a bus route you will need to consult the bus company and attach a copy of their response. You will also need to consult any businesses in the wider area that may be affected. If you have already consulted them you will need to attach a copy of your consultation invitation or notice and confirm the date it was sent.