Latest COVID-19 Guidance

Face coverings: when to wear one

On 8 December 2021, the government announced that England will move to Plan B in response to the risks of the Omicron variant. From Friday 10 December 2021 the public, and staff in public facing areas, are required to wear face coverings in these additional settings:

  • community centres (including village halls), youth centres, members clubs and social clubs
  • libraries and public reading rooms
  • polling stations and premises used for the counting of votes
  • places of worship
  • crematoria and burial ground chapels
  • visitor attractions and entertainment venues (museums, galleries, cinemas, indoor theatres, concert halls, cultural and heritage sites, indoor areas at aquariums, zoos and visitor farms, bingo halls, snooker and pool halls, amusement arcades, adventure activity centres, indoor sports stadiums, funfairs, indoor theme parks, casinos, skating rinks, bowling alleys, indoor play areas including soft-play areas)
  • public areas in hotels and hostels
  • indoor areas of sports stadiums

The public and staff in public facing areas, are also required to wear face coverings in these settings (this has been mandatory since 30 November 2021):

  • shops and supermarkets (places which offer goods or services for retail sale or hire)
  • shopping centres (malls and indoor markets)
  • auction houses
  • post offices, banks, building societies, high street solicitors and accountants, credit unions, short-term loan providers, savings clubs and money service businesses
  • estate and letting agents
  • premises providing personal care and beauty treatments (barbers, hair salons, tattoo and piercing studios, nail salons and massage centres)
  • pharmacies
  • premises providing veterinary services
  • retail galleries
  • retail travel agents
  • takeaways without space for consumption of food or drink on premises
  • public transport (aeroplanes, trains, trams, buses, coaches and ferries), taxis and private hire vehicles
  • any car or small van during a professionally delivered driving lesson, a practical driving test, or during one of the practical tests for giving driving instruction, and in all HGV lessons and tests
  • transport hubs (airports, rail and tram stations and terminals, maritime ports and terminals, bus and coach stations and terminals)

Shops and personal care/close contact services must display signage or take other measures to ensure that customers are aware of the obligation to wear a face covering where there is no applicable exemption.

Further information on face coverings can be found in the government website.

Required use of the NHS COVID Pass

From 15 December, certain venues and events will be required by law to check that all visitors aged 18 years or over are fully vaccinated (currently a full course of vaccination without the need for a booster, but this will be kept under review), have proof of a negative test in the last 48 hours, or that they have an exemption. This means that those aged 18 years or over must show their NHS COVID Pass, or an alternative proof of a negative test result, such as an email or text proof, to gain entry into these venues:

  • nightclubs, dancehalls and discotheques
  • other late-night dance venues. These are any other venues that are:
    • open between 1am and 5am;
    • serve alcohol during this time;
    • have a dancefloor (or designated space for dancing); and
    • provide music, whether live or recorded, for dancing.
  • indoor events with 500 or more unseated attendees, where those attendees are likely to stand or move around for all or part of the event, such as music venues with standing audiences or large receptions
  • outdoor events with 4,000 or more unseated attendees, where those attendees are likely to stand or move around for all or part of the event, such as outdoor festivals; and
  • any events with 10,000 or more attendees indoor or outdoor, such as large sports and music events

Further information on Plan B and what you can and cannot do can be found on the government website.

Self Isolation Guidance 

Guidance for households with possible or confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection and for contacts of people with confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infection who do not live with the person can be viewed on the Government website. 

Keeping yourself and others safe

There are still cases of COVID-19 in England and there is a risk you could catch or pass on the virus, even if you are fully vaccinated. You are encouraged to exercise caution and consider the risks. While no situation is risk free, there are actions we can take to protect ourselves and others around us.

If you are worried about going back to a more ‘normal’ life, there is information from the NHS on how to cope with anxiety.  

COVID-19 Vaccine

The NHS are now offering everyone over 12 the Covid vaccine.

To book your appointment go to book or manage coronavirus (Covid-19) vaccination.

For the latest information on walk in clinics via the national NHS website go to find a walk in vaccination site' webpage on the NHS website.

For information on local walk in clinics visit the Frimley Healthcare website

Coronavirus Testing

If you show any symptoms of Covid-19 including:

  • a high temperature
  • a new, continuous cough
  • you’ve lost your sense of smell or taste or it’s changed

you should stay at home and organise a free PCR test.

If you do not have Covid-19 symptoms, regular rapid lateral flow Covid-19 tests are also available for free. About 1 in 3 people with COVID-19 do not have symptoms but can still infect others. Getting tested regularly is the only way to know if you have the virus. If people test positive and self-isolate, it helps stop the virus spreading.

More information on Coronavirus testing and data.  

Know where to go when feeling unwell

Our GP practices and our hospitals are extremely busy and still need to ensure social distancing, but we still want to hear from you if you have health concerns – don’t store them up. Please use 111 first for urgent help that isn’t a life-threatening emergency.

  • Know where to go when feeling unwell advice from Frimley Heath Care.
  • Use 111 first for urgent help that isn’t a life-threatening emergency
  • GP and primary care services remain open for you if you have health concerns
  • Get your flu jab and wait to hear from the NHS for when it is time for you to be vaccinated against COVID-19 


NHS COVID19 App launched on 24 September. 

When downloaded onto a smartphone the App will:

  • support traditional test and trace methods
  • inform the public of rising rates in their postcode area
  • alert them if they've been in contact with someone who has tested positive (even if they don't know them)
  • provide a 'checking in' function based on QR codes displayed in venues and public spaces
  • allow people to check their symptoms, and book a test if they need one

More information for residents about the NHS COVID19 App can be found on the below links:

Reporting outbreaks of coronavirus

For information on guidance for businesses and organisations on how to recognise, contain and report incidents of coronavirus

Surrey and Sussex HPT (South East) 
Public Health England
County Hall North
Chart Way
RH12 1XA


Telephone: 0344 225 3861 (option 1 to 4 depending on area)

Out of hours advice: 0844 967 0069 

Useful Links

We are working hard to help staff and residents stay well during the outbreak of Coronavirus. We are in regular contact with partners including Public Health England, Surrey County Council and neighbouring borough councils to ensure information and advice is shared with residents in a timely manner. We are planning for various potential Coronavirus-related scenarios to ensure we are ready to deal with them as a Council, to help ensure health and safety of residents as far as possible.  We regularly share health advice and information from the Government and Public Health England through a variety of channels, including social media. Like us on Facebook and/or follow us on Twitter.