Ukrainian Refugees

Surrey Heath Borough Council is proud to be supporting the Government’s Homes for Ukraine Scheme which has given the Surrey Heath community the opportunity to once again demonstrate their compassion and kindness.  We are humbled by the generosity shown by our residents in opening their homes to those fleeing for their lives.

The Council are contacting all those in the Borough who have been accepted on the Homes for Ukraine scheme and are awaiting the arrival of their Ukrainian guests.  We will provide support and advice, and work to ensure that everything is in place to make the arrangement a success.   The Council is arranging visits with host households and their Ukrainian guests and assisting with essential safeguarding and property checks.   

Can you offer accommodation? 

If you would like to register your interest in offering accommodation to Ukrainian refugees, you can do so via the Government's Homes for Ukraine scheme. Please view the Homes For Ukraine Privacy Notice for information on how we will use your data.

Can you offer support? 

If you are not able to offer a home as part of the Ukrainian Resettlement Scheme but would like to offer your support please contact us via email at

Do you need help with finding a Ukrainian Refugee to host?

Those who don't personally know anyone fleeing Ukraine, can still register their interest on the government's website.

You can also get in touch with charities that are making connections between individuals.   These include:

More information on Support for Ukrainian Nationals in Surrey is available on the Surrey County Council website.

More information and support on the UK welcomes Ukraine website and Homes for Ukraine how-to guide website.

Can you offer a donation? 

If you would like to support those who are most at risk, financial donations to the following charities provide humanitarian relief in Ukraine and are therefore recommended in the first instance:  

We thank all residents who have stepped forward to offer help and support to those fleeing for their lives from hostile armed occupation and persecution in their home country of Ukraine.

Support for relatives arriving on the Ukraine Family Scheme

The Ukraine Family Scheme allows applicants to join family members or extend their stay in the UK.
If your family member qualifies for the scheme they will be able to live, work and study in the UK and access public funds. However there are some differences to the Homes for Ukraine scheme where local residents are offering to be sponsors to those coming to the UK.
While your relatives will be able to work or secure an income through benefits the Government has not set the Family Scheme up to provide any direct financial support from the Council. This means that arrivals will not receive £200 and you will not be entitled to the £350 per month payment available under the Homes for Ukraine scheme.
On arrival your relatives should make a claim for Universal Credit as soon as possible in order to secure an income. Details can be found here.
For local advice on claiming benefits you can contact Citizens Advice Surrey Heath:
  • For a telephone or face-to-face appointment you can phone 01276 417900 and leave a message. An adviser will call you back as soon as possible and within 2 working days.
  • You can phone the freephone number 0808 278 7936 or Textphone 18001 0800 144 8884 for general advice, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
  • You can email:
Citizens Advice can also help if you or your relatives are suffering hardship due to lack of money or need to access local services such as food banks.