Road Closure

Street parties and fetes are a traditional part of community life; they are a simple way for us to get to know our neighbours and meet members of our community.

A step by step guide to how to hold a community event in your local area has been put together. It includes one simple form for you to use to let us know about your plans, so you can get on with the real work of organising a fun event.

Coronation Grant Scheme

Surrey Heath Borough Council has made available a small grants scheme up to £250 to support community-led Coronation events on 7 May 2023.

The grants are available to apply for from 2 March until 28 April via the Rotary Club of Camberley - please submit your application using this link (link is external)

The following criteria applies:

  • The funded events take place in Surrey Heath and bring together a minimum of 20 people
  • Are inclusive – including supporting vulnerable people who otherwise might not be able to take part in marking the Coronation
  • Support local community engagement and cohesion
  • Promote wellbeing
  • Have a clear delivery plan
  • Grants can be used to contribute to the costs of holding a community event including food, but not to pay for the costs of any alcohol.

Are you hoping to organise a street party?

We want to make sure that you have a fun and enjoyable day and hope that this information will enable you to do so. If you are planning a street party you will need to complete a Street Party application form.

Don't delay, submit your application quickly, we advise 8 weeks prior to any event - it may take several weeks to process.

This page provides guidance for residents thinking of organising a street party. This guide lets you know what the Borough Council requires of you.

Organising small private street parties and fetes can be very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence. However, if you want to sell alcohol or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Licence.

What counts as a small street party?

The main difference between a small street party, fetes and larger public events are listed below:

Street parties and fetes:

  • for residents or neighbours only
  • publicity to residents of your street and any other street or business which could be affected
  • self-organised
Larger public events:
  • anyone can attend
  • external publicity (such as newspapers)
  • professional or skilled organisers.

Getting permission to hold a small street party or fete

If you want to hold a small street party or fete you will need to complete a street parties application and submit it to the Council. The completed form should be returned as directed with maps, drawings, insurance and any other information requested.

You should allow 8 weeks' notice before the day of the event as a minimum.

Closing a road for a party

If your street is used by through traffic you will need to send the council a traffic plan. This must show how much of the road is to be closed and an alternative route for traffic.

The Council will make contact with emergency services and relevant bus companies on your behalf. We'll also check with Surrey County Council that no road works are planned and that surrounding roads are still accessible.


There is no fee for this service.


If you are granted permission to close the road you will need to put up appropriate signs to inform road users. The Council does not have road signs that you can borrow and recommends that you hire appropriate signs from a local hire centre. A selection of local hire centres can be found on the yellow pages website.

Insurance for a road closure

The Council requires public liability insurance cover to be taken out by event organisers with a minimum cover of £10 million. Insurance starts from as little as £50. The costs can be split between residents or you could ask for donations to help cover them.

The current exception is that insurance is not required for Coronation parties, as per Government guidelines.

Larger public events attracting more people will require a different process. If you intend to hold a larger event you should begin by reviewing our Temporary Event Licence page.

Risk assessments are not normally required for small events. However, one may be required if the road you intend to close provides access to a wider residential area.


Your application will be sent to the Council's Licensing Team who will assess whether you will need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). If you are planning to sell alcohol, have regulated entertainment or provide late night refreshments, your street party may require a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) and you will be advised by email. Please see Licensing Temporary Event Notices for further information. Please remember that it is your responsibility to obtain a TEN, if required, and this will be at your own expense.

Other considerations for the day

You should ensure that:
  • Emergency services can get access if they need to and if at all possible, someone trained in first aid is on hand.
  • Food should be prepared in a hygienic manner and stored at an appropriate temperature.