The Council is committed to embedding equality and diversity in employment practices, services of the Council and works with partners to set equality objectives. We work to prevent discrimination and recognise that people have different needs and treat them fairly.
The Council's Equality Strategy
The Council's Single Equality Strategy is intended to address equality as a whole. The Strategy was updated in March 2012 to include the Council's new Equality Objectives and Action Plan.
The Council works towards the Equality Framework for Local Government, a tool used by local authorities to mainstream equality and diversity into service delivery and employment and to adopt an equal life chances approach. There are 3 levels within the Framework: Developing, Achieving and Excellent.
The Framework has 5 main areas:
- Knowing our Community - Equality Mapping
- Place Shaping, Leadership, Partnership and Organisational Commitment
- Community Engagement and Satisfaction
- Responsive Services and Customer Care
- Modern and Diverse Workforce