Pleasure Boats

Apply to your council for a pleasure boat licence if you want to hire out pleasure boats for personal use or use them for carrying up to 12 passengers.

Pleasure boats include sailboards, rowing boats, canoes, motor boats and pedalos.

If you’re transporting passengers you’ll also need the appropriate pilot’s qualification and certificate.


You must not carry more passengers than your licence permits (normally no more than 12).

You may also need a certificate stating the boat is properly designed, constructed, maintained and equipped and will be safe for how and where you want to use it.

Your council might also attach other conditions to your licence, eg what insurance you need and on which waterways you can take your boat.


You won’t need this licence if your boat is staying in waters owned or managed by the British Waterways Board, who have their own licensing scheme.

Please ring on 01276 707625 to find out more and how to apply