Friday, 13 November, 2020
Despite the challenges posed by this unique year the Surrey Heath Sports Awards went ahead in 2020, albeit in a slightly different format.
The traditional glossy award ceremony was swapped this year for a roadshow format, with a plan for award winners to be presented with their trophies in socially distanced presentations at locations across the Borough.
The Sports Awards celebrate the achievements and commitment of our local talented athletes, coaches, volunteers and sports organisers, as well as those who have championed sport and physical activity over the past year.
The revised 2020 award line-up included a new ‘COVID-19 Community Champion award’, presented to the person or initiative that went above and beyond to encourage the community to get involved in physical activity safely during the pandemic.
Nominees were shortlisted by an internal panel before winners were selected by the Surrey Heath Sports Council last month.
Congratulations to the winners:
- Places Leisure Coach of the Year –Claire Murray (Any1CanRide)
- Surrey Security Service Covid-19 Community Champion of the Year –Mark Fisher (Chobham RFC)
- Complete Coaching Outstanding Service to Sport –James Llewellyn (Evolution Project)
- The Massage Company Sporting Performance of the Year –Charlotte Dannatt (Camberley and District Athletics Club)
- Surrey Security Service Disability Sport Award –Surrey Chargers Mixed Ability Rugby
- Robin Elsdon-Dew Volunteer of the Year –Ian White (Chobham RFC)
- Camberley Theatre Young Sporting Performance of the Year –Marley O’Toole (British Waterski Federation)
Surrey Heath Portfolio Holder for Places & Strategy Cllr Rebecca Jennings-Evans said: “The Covid-19 pandemic has made 2020 a very strange year, but we were determined to still honour our sporting stars, clubs and local heroes.
“Sport has continued to be a vital part of life in Surrey Heath, and I congratulate all our deserving winners on their achievements.
"Well done to everyone who was nominated -and indeed all who have excelled, participated, volunteered, organisedand coached in our local sporting community over the past year.”
Some award presentations have been delayed due to current national Covid-19 restrictions -they are planned to take place once the restrictions are lifted.
Updates will be posted at surreyheath.gov.uk/sportsawards and on our social media channels.
A big thank you to all of the award sponsors for their support.