Information Charter - Handling Personal Protected Information (PPI)
Senior Information Risk Owner - Bob Watson -Strategic Director, Finance & Customer Services
Author - Sally Turnbull - Information Governance Manager
Date effective from - June 2013
Date reviewed - March 2022
This charter sets out the standards you can expect from Surrey Heath Borough Council when we hold personal information about you and how you can access your personal data.
Personal information is any information which can be used to identify you as an individual. It does not include information on organisations.
When we use your personal information we will do so in accordance with the UK General Data Protection Regulations and the Data Protection Act 2018.
If we need to handle personal information about you to provide services for you, this is how we look after that information.
When we ask you for personal information, we promise:
- to make sure you know why we need it
- to ask only for what we need and not to collect irrelevant or too much information
- to protect it and make sure that nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- to let you know if we share it with anyone else
- to make sure we keep your information no longer than necessary
- not to make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as new address
This helps us to keep your information reliable and up to date
You can get more details about:
- how to find out what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information
- circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you, for example to prevent and detect crime or to produce anonymised statistics
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date and
- how to make a complaint
For more information, please contact Mrs Sally Turnbull, Information Governance Manager, Surrey Heath Borough Council, Surrey Heath House, Knoll Road, Camberley, Surrey, GU15 3HD. Sally.firstname.lastname@example.org
When we ask for information we will keep to the law, including the Data Protection Act 2018. For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data-sharing issues you can contact the Information Commissioner at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF. Website: www.ico.org.uk