- Apply for a New Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence
- Apply for a New Private Hire Vehicle Licence
- Apply to Renew a Hackney Carriage Vehicle Licence
- Apply to Renew a Private Hire Vehicle Licence
What do I need to know?
Requirements in addition to the application form:
- Correct fee. Fees and Charges
- The engine capacity of the vehicle must be 1300 cc or over, no limit for hybrid vehicles.
- The width at the front edge of the rear seat must be not less than 48 inches.
- The vehicle must be insured to undertake public hire and private hire (Hackney Carriage) or private hire (Private Hire Vehicle)
- Vehicles licensed must have an MOT certificate once the age of the vehicle is over 1 year (Hackney Carriage) or over 3 years (Private Hire Vehicle).
- The vehicle has to undergo a mechanical examination at a Council approved garage and must be provided with a certificate indicating that it is suitable for use as a Hackney Carriage or Private Hire Vehicle
- Vehicles submitted for first time licensing must not be over three years old (licences will only be renewed in respect of vehicles that are five years old or less).
- Hackney Carriage - The vehicle must be fitted with a taximeter that must be capable of complying with licence conditions and registering a fare scale approved by the Council. The Vehicle must be booked in at the Council to enable the taximeter to be tested and sealed. It must have a “taxi” roof light.
- Private Hire Vehicle - If a taximeter is fitted, it must be capable of complying with licence conditions and registering a fare scale approved by the Council. The Vehicle must be booked in at the Council to enable the taximeter to be tested and sealed.
Applications to renew a licence must be submitted at least 1 month before the current expiry date
Hackney Carriage Information
When the vehicle has been licensed, a taxi sign has to be displayed on the vehicle at all times and in addition to displaying the licence plate must have the licence number displayed inside the vehicle. A fare card also has to be exhibited inside the vehicle
Licensing Terms and Conditions
To notify us of a change of address, please complete this form.
Fair Processing Statement
This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see http://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/council/information-governance/data-matching-national-fraud- or contact email@example.com