What do I need to know?
- Persons who are in possession of a current Hackney Carriage Drivers licence can drive both Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles.
- Persons who are in possession of a current Private Hire Drivers licence can drive Private Hire Vehicles only.
Applicants must be:
- over 21
- have held a full driver's licence (issued by DVLA or European Union Country) for 12 months minimum
- obtain a check code from DVLA so that your driving record can be checked
In addition to the application form and full fee £307, you will need:
- Completed application form to obtain a Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate (must be made through licensing, not externally).
Please see ID checking guidelines for DBS check applications
- DBS continuation sheet
- Complete a FP30 Driving Licence Information Fair Processing Declaration Form
- For non EU passport holders evidence of your immigration status and proof of your right to work and remain in the UK for a minimum of 12 months Immigration Guidance
- Completed medical certificate. Medical Report must satisfy DVLA Group 2 standard. Medical Process
- Notifiable Medical Conditions – you must inform Licensing if you have any of the conditions listed here.
- Blue Lamp Trust or AA Drivetech driver assessment certificate.
- Successfully complete Safeguarding Adults and Child Sexual Exploitation training – login page https://taxielm.learnupon.com/store
- 1 passport sized photograph taken within 1 month of the application.
- Correct Fee. Fees and Charges
- Pass a street knowledge test (Test fee - Private Hire £27 / Hackney Carriage £47). Map to assist with Test | Hackney Carriage Test | Private Hire Test
- Note to Drivers, December 2016
- Terms and Conditions - Hackney Carriage Drivers | Private Hire Drivers
- Licences expire on the expiry date shown on the licence.
- Drivers and proprietors must ensure that applications to renew licences are submitted at least one month before the current expiry date. The Council is not able to override this legal requirement.
- Drivers must notify the council, in writing and within 7 days, if they acquire any points on their driving licence, or they change their address.
- Drivers should return their badge to the Council upon renewal or if they stop working for a private hire operator.
- Disclosure Barring Service (DBS formerly CRB) checks are required every three years, the council will send out courtesy reminders but it is the drivers responsibility to make sure their DBS form is sent off to give it enough time to come back before the badge expires. A DBS check must be valid for minimum of 10 months of the duration of the licence.
- Medical examinations can last for up to three years, but this is dependent on the doctors' evaluation of the driver.
- Drivers over 65 years will be required to have a medical every year.
Fair Processing Statement
This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see http://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/council/information-governance/data-matching or contact email@example.com