- Apply for a new Hackney Carriage Driver Licence
- Apply for a new Private Hire Drivers Licence
- Apply to renew a Hackney Carriage Drivers Licence
- Apply to renew a Private Hire Drivers Licence
- Application for a Hackney Carriage / Private Hire Drivers Licence Guidance Notes
- New Driver Pack - Hackney Carriage or Private Hire
- Taxi Convictions Policy
- Information about converting from Private Hire Driver to Hackney Carriage Driver
What do I need to know?
Please view the New Driver information sheet
- Persons who are in possession of a current Hackney Carriage Drivers licence can drive both Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles.
- Persons who are in possession of a current Private Hire Drivers licence can drive Private Hire Vehicles only.
Applicants must be:
- over 21
- have held a full driver's licence (issued by DVLA or European Union Country) for 12 months minimum
- obtain a check code from DVLA so that your driving record can be checked
In addition to the application form and full fee £250, you will need:
- Enhanced Criminal Convictions Disclosure please follow this procedure to apply for a DBS certificate using the umbrella company - TaxiPlus to apply follow this link.
- Operators, vehicle proprietors and drivers will be required to join the DBS update service, to join.
- For non EU passport holders evidence of your immigration status and proof of your right to work and remain in the UK for a minimum of 12 months Immigration Guidance
- Completed medical certificate. Medical Report must satisfy DVLA Group 2 standard. Medical Process
- Notifiable Medical Conditions – you must inform Licensing if you have any of the conditions listed.
- Blue Lamp Trust driver assessment certificate.
- Successfully complete Safeguarding Adults and Child Sexual Exploitation training – login page https://taxielm.learnupon.com/store
- 1 passport sized photograph taken within 1 month of the application.
- Correct Fee. Fees and Charges
- Pass multiple choice electronic Street Knowledge test - Private Hire £60 Hackney Carriage £60 Map to assist with Test | Hackney Carriage Test | Private Hire Test
- Note to Drivers, December 2016
- Terms and Conditions - Hackney Carriage Drivers | Private Hire Drivers
- Licences expire on the expiry date shown on the licence.
- Drivers and proprietors must ensure that applications to renew licences are submitted at least one month before the current expiry date. The Council is not able to override this legal requirement.
- Drivers must notify the council, in writing and within 7 days, if they acquire any points on their driving licence, or they change their address.
- Drivers should return their badge to the Council upon renewal or if they stop working for a private hire operator.
- Medical examinations can last for up to three years, but this is dependent on the doctors' evaluation of the driver.
- Drivers over 65 years will be required to have a medical every year.
Fair Processing Statement
This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see http://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/council/information-governance/data-matching or contact firstname.lastname@example.org