Street Trading Licence

Street trading in the Surrey Heath area is regulated under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, schedule 4. It is illegal to carry out street trading anywhere in the borough without a current consent from the Council and this can lead to a fine. If you are concerned that a street trader is operating without a licence, please let us know -

The Council has designated all the streets in the borough as either "Prohibited" or "Consent" streets.

Anyone over the age of 17 may apply for a consent to carry out street trading on consent streets. Street trading on prohibited streets is not permitted under any circumstances.

Information/evidence required

You will need to provide a fully completed application form, along with the following documents:

  • Employer's liability insurance
  • Public liability insurance
  • Food hygiene training certificate (where food is being sold)
  • Four photographs of the trading unit
  • A plan to show where the unit will be trading
  • You may also be required to provide two photographs of yourself.

You may also need to supply permission from the land owner if the unit will be on private land.


Please see Fees and Charges for details of fees payable.

How do I apply?

We will inspect the proposed location of the unit as part of the application process and will display site notices there. Once we have granted a consent, we may inspect the unit from time to time.

Consents are either granted in full, granted with amendments (e.g. times plus days) or refused. A set of conditions will be attached to all consents.

Camberley Town Centre Street Trading Policy

All applications for consent to trade in Camberley Town Centre will be considered in conjunction with the Camberley Town Centre Street Trading Policy. The Policy is attached below, along with a map showing applicable streets in Camberley Town Centre.


What Happens Next?

The council will either grant the application within 28 days of receipt of a correct application. A consent may be withdrawn by the Council at any time.

If I'm turned down, how do I appeal?

There is no right of appeal against the refusal to grant or renew a consent, or if we invoke a consent. We will always give reasons to you if we refuse a consent.

How long does the consent last, and what's the renewal procedure?

Each consent is valid for one year and you must make a new application to renew the consent.

Further information