Temporary Event Notices

Important change for 2022 and 2023 – The regulations have amended the limits prescribed by the Licensing Act to increase the allowance for temporary event notices from 15 to 20 notices per year and increase the maximum number of days on which temporary events may be held from 21 days to 26 days per year. This increase only applies in the years 2022 and 2023.

Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

If you wish to hold an occasional event in England or Wales that involves the sale of alcohol or the provision of entertainment, you must give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).
Please apply for your TEN at least six weeks before the event. Don’t leave it to the last minute in case there is an objection or problem.

Temporary Event Notice Public Register

View the Temporary Event Notice Public Register.

TENs – Covid-19 requirements

Under the Health & Safety at Work etc Act 1974 an event organiser is required to ensure the safety & welfare of staff, volunteers and persons attending the event. Therefore, we would encourage event organisers irrespective of the size of the event to continue to complete a simple covid 19 risk assessment to determine simple suitable controls that can easily be put in place. The Government’s latest guidance on Working Safety during coronavirus (covid 19) Events and Attractions can aid you in deciding what controls may be required.
On receipt of your TEN a member of our Environmental Health Team will contact you to offer further guidance on good practice in this regard.

How to submit a TEN

Online Application 

Submit a Temporary Event Notice online

Please note payment must be made at the same time a TEN is submitted. The fee is £21.
If you do not submit the fee with your TEN then your submission will be invalid and cannot be processed further.
This application should be made to the local authority where the event is located. Check your postcode to see which council you should make your application.
If you submit your TEN to the incorrect local authority or your TEN is incorrect your fee may still be retained.
A TEN must be received by the Local Authority and copied to the Police and Environmental Health Team at Surrey Heath Borough Council within the timeframes specified for Standard or Late TENs.
If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

Standard TEN (minimum notice period):

10 working days exclusive of the day on which the event is to start, and exclusive of the day on which the notice is given.

Late TEN (minimum notice period):

9-5 working days must be given (you can have two of these per calendar year as a non-personal licence holder, and if the Police or Environmental Health object, the TEN will be invalid).

Licensable activities

• Any sale or supply of alcohol (including giving it away as part of a wider ticket e.g. ‘fish and chip supper including a free glass of wine’ and may include where alcohol is given away as a prize such as a bottle stall or raffle).
• Entertainment consisting of plays, films, an indoor sporting event, boxing or wrestling, a performance of live or recorded music, any playing of recorded music, any performance of dance, or entertainment of a similar description. (Note: This will only be licensable if it is a public entertainment or, if it is private entertainment intended to make a profit – no matter to whom or to where the proceeds go. This may include many fund raising activities not previously licensable e.g. school fetes or quiz nights where the function is private but is designed to be a fundraiser.)
If you prefer you can download the temporary event notice application form and return this form in duplicate.

Temporary Event Notices (TENs) for larger events

In general, the licensing authority expects organisers of large events to apply for a premises licence and to supply an event management and safety plan with their application. This allows for the maximum consultation period and full consideration by the responsible authorities (police, fire and rescue, environmental health etc) and the public.
If any of the following apply to you, please email licensing@surreyheath.gov.uk to determine whether a TEN is appropriate:
• There will be 200 or more persons attending the event
• You need an event management plan for the event
• The event will be outdoors, and music will be provided
• The event is not a premises where people ordinarily gather(e.g. a village or church hall)
• You will be using a temporary structure such as a stage or similar
• The event will be at a premises where an alcohol or entertainment licence does not exist
• The event will last several days
The above list is not exhaustive. If you have any queries about the most appropriate authorisation for you event, please contact us. Please be aware that TENs for larger scale events are more likely to attract objections from the police or environmental health.


The Licensing Act 2003 makes no provision for refunds. This includes where a notice is withdrawn or submitted in error.
For further information, contact licensing@surreyheath.gov.uk or telephone 01276 707100.