Change of Circumstances / Address


Your Housing Benefit has been assessed on the information you have given to us or we have obtained.

But if your circumstances change, you must tell us because it may affect your benefit entitlement. If you also get Universal Credit you must also report the change to them. You can amend your Universal Claim by signing in to your Universal Credit account and reporting the change online or you can contact the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 9344 – Monday to Friday between 9am to 4pm. Do not rely on someone else to pass the message on. If you do not tell us straight away, you may lose money you are entitled to or you may get too much benefit, which you would have to pay back to us.

For example:

  • If any of your children leave school or home or if you have a baby
  • If your income or the income of anyone living with you changes
  • If your capital, savings, or investments change
  • If an award of Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance ends
  • If your rent changes, or if you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes into hospital/nursing home/prison

HMRC has launched a new online service so it’s quicker for parents and carers to prove that they claim Child Benefit.

This proof is required for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support and other services, and previously involved calling or writing to HMRC. This can now be done in 10 minutes using the HMRC app or online.

If you require proof of Child Benefit entitlement you can access it via the website.

Please note certain changes in circumstance or income may result in your Housing Benefit claim ending and Universal Credit having to be claimed.