- A licence is not required in respect of private hiring undertaken by hackney carriages.
- A private hire operator's licence is required by any person making vehicles available to undertake private hire bookings. This applies to all private hire bookings where a vehicle with less than 8 passenger seats is used to undertake the hiring regardless of the terminology used to define the vehicle, i.e. executive hire, minicab, chauffeur hire and private hire etc.
- An operators licence is also required when advertising private hire services and handing out business cards.
- Private hire operators may take bookings from outside the borough where they are licensed: the licence should be obtained from the local authority for the area in which they are based.
- Private hire operators may only give bookings to drivers and vehicles licensed by the local authority that issued the operators licence, however, the Deregulation Act now permits Private Hire Operators to pass work to a Private Hire Operator in another district.
- A private hire operator is required to keep records of all hirings which they accept and details of the drivers and vehicles used to undertake those hirings. These records must be keep available for inspection by authorised officers of the council at all reasonable times.
- Operator Licence Conditions
Fair Processing Statement
This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further information, see http://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/council/information-governance/data-matching or contact email@example.com