Skip to content
What's New
Site Map
A-Z Services
Website Help
Access key details

23 October 2014

Street Trader's Consent and Advice

Contact Us

For further information about Environmental Health Licencing, please contact:

Environmental Health
Tel: 01276 707330
Email: Environmental Health

Surrey Heath House,
Knoll Road,
Surrey GU15 3HD

View more information about Street Trading

Find out if you need a Street Trader's Consent, and how to apply.

What information/evidence will I need to provide?

If you trade in the street you may require a street trading consent.

Applications should be made in writing (including by electronic means) to your local district council, or the district council for the area you wish to trade.

You must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade.

You may also be required to provide two photographs of yourself.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a licence.

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a licence.

Consents are either granted in full, granted with amendments (e.g. times plus days) or refused. A set of conditions will be attached to all consents.

Apply for a Street Trader's Consent

What information/evidence will I need to provide?
You will need to provide a fully completed application form, along with the following documents:

  • Employer's liability insurance
  • Public liability insurance
  • Food hygiene training certificate (where food is being sold)
  • Four photographs of the trading unit
  • A plan to show where the unit will be trading

You may also need to supply permission from the land owner if the unit will be on private land.

Are there inspections/assessments?
We will inspect the proposed location of the unit as part of the application process and will display site notices there. Once we have granted a consent, we may inspect the unit from time to time.

What Happens Next?
The council will either grant the application within 28 days of receipt of a correct application. A consent may be withdrawn by the Council at any time.

If I'm turned down, how do I appeal?
There is no right of appeal against the refusal to grant or renew a consent, or if we invoke a consent. We will always give reasons to you if we refuse a consent.

How long does the consent last, and what's the renewal procedure?
Each consent is valid for one year and you must make a new application to renew the consent.

How do I tell you about changes of circumstance?
You need to inform us in writing of any changes to your contact details or to the unit you are trading from as soon as possible.

Consumer Complaint
If you have a complaint against a trader, we would advise you first to contact the trader - preferably by letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are in the UK, Consumer Direct Opens in a new window will give you advice. If you are outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre Opens in a new window.

Where can I go for further information?

Expand footer to view Surrey local services website links and more
Collapse footer